Carbon Monoxide (CO) is flammable, colorless, odorless, tasteless toxic gas produced during in complete combustion of fuel-natural gas, oil, coal, wood, kerosene, etc.
During normal combustion, each atom of carbon in the burning fuel joins with two atoms of oxygen- forming a forming a harmless gas
called carbon dioxide. When there is a lack of oxygen to ensure complete combustion of the fuel, each atom of carbon links up with
only one atom of oxygen- forming monoxide gas.
Carbon monoxide inhibits the blood’s capacity to carry oxygen. In out lungs, CO quickly passes into our bloodstream and attaches itself
to hemoglobin (oxygen carrying pigment in red blood cells). Hemoglobin readily accepts carbon monoxide – even over the life giving
oxygen atoms (as much as 200 times as readily as oxygen) forming a toxic compound known as carboxyhemoglobin (COHb).When CO
is inhaled, it reduces the amount of oxygen that get to cells, suffocating the victim symptoms of CO poisoning include headaches,
sleepiness, nausea, and dizziness.